Yuma Company

Yuma Company Arizona Rangers (District 29)

Serving Yuma and surrounding areas

company

About Yuma

In 1540, Spanish colonial expeditions under Hernando de Alarcon and Melchior Diaz visited the area that is now modern day Yuma and immediately recognized the natural crossing of the Colorado River as an ideal spot for a city. Following the United States establishing Fort Yuma in 1848, two towns developed one mile down river. The one on the California side was called Jaeger City, the other was called Colorado City. From 1853 a smaller settlement, Arizona City, grew up on the high ground across from the fort and was organized under the name of its post office in 1858. It had adobe dwellings, two stores and two saloons. Colorado City and Jaeger City were almost completely destroyed by the Great Flood of 1862 and had to be rebuilt on higher ground. At that time Colorado City became part of Arizona City. It took the name Yuma in 1873 and incorporated in 1914.

#29
Page 1 of 2 12