About the City of Casa Grande
Casa Grande was founded in 1879 during the Arizona mining boom, specifically due to the presence of the Southern Pacific Railroad. In January 1880, the community of Terminus, meaning "end-of-the-line," was established despite consisting of just five residents and three buildings. In September 1880, railroad executives renamed the settlement Casa Grande, after the Hohokam ruins at the nearby Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. Casa Grande grew slowly, and suffered several setbacks both in 1886 and 1893, when fires ravaged the town, destroying all wooden housing structures within it. When the mining boom slowed in the 1890s, the town was nearly abandoned, but with the advent of agriculture, the town remained alive and well, and was eventually incorporated in 1915.
Casa Grande (Spanish for Large House) is a city in Pinal County, approximately halfway between Phoenix and Tucson in the U.S. state of Arizona. According to 2011 Census, the population of the city is 49,591 and has a metropolitan population of 151,464. It is named after the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, which is actually located in Coolidge.